Thursday, January 19, 2012

Monkey See, Monkey Do

My parents, before I was even a thought in their pretty little feather banged heads
I have to give credit to my parents for raising me the way they did.  Yes, we fought.  We fought a alot.  It was probably all my fault, but I will never speak those words out loud.

They met at Disneyland, fell in love, and lived happily ever after.  They got married, left Disney, Mom worked for the Phone Company, and Dad was the best root-tootin' salesman this side o' the Mississippi.  They bought a house, grew their lives together, picked me up from the hospital, and started being parents.  I was going to be their perfect little girl.

Unfortunately, I liked getting dirty more than I liked playing with Barbies.  Camping trips were fun (til they made me shower when we got home!)

I think this is the trip that I literally came home covered in dirt and mud.


I grew up in the "safest large city in the nation" going on 7 or 8 or 9 years running.  A planned community with street names that all end in "wood."  Northwood.  Southwood.  Meadowood. Brywood.  You get the picture.  We lived in a big blue house with our dogs Nicky Sue, Jake, and Chaz.  We had an SUV and a sedan.  I borrowed eggs and tools from my neighbors and I played with kids in the street.  There was no time for video games.  Climbing trees was more fun.  If I wanted to record a show, my mom bought me a blank VHS, and I hit the "record" button on the TV set when it came on.  It was a very suburban life. I was safe outside with my friends.  There was no trouble to get into.  I was one of the lucky ones.  I want to give this life to my future kids.  I might actually want to turn into my parents.

Me and Dad shoveling the Explorer out of the snow on Mammoth Mountain

Growing up how and where I did molded me into the young woman I am today.  I am proud of who I am becoming and I have my parents to thank.  I strive to accomplish everything I can every day.  I look up to my parents and what they have done in their lives and although there may still be some "tricks of the trade" missing from my life experience file, I'll figure it all out.. one mistake at a time.

Undergraduate graduation day


Thanks Mom and Dad, I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment