Friday, January 20, 2012

The House that Almost Was

This was going to be my first condo.  Not the whole building, but the unit at the bottom right with the big patio.  Unit 6C.

This house was amazing!  It was in a newer neighborhood, right up the street from a movie theater, grocery store, restaurants, and most importantly, WalMart!

I loved this house.  It was a one bedroom with a huge walk in closet.  The best part of the house though, was the loft.  It was already set up as a home theater.  It was perfect!

I made an offer, it was accepted.  I did all the paperwork.  I had the inspections.  I got home insurance.  I ordered new checks with my new address on them.  Everything went relatively smoothly.  I was supposed to close escrow on September 26, 2011.

So, I went out and did what every excited new homeowner does.  I bought a HUGE TV!  I bought decorations.  My parents bought a new, matching, GE suite for the kitchen.  I had paint colors picked out in my head.  We wrote checks, signed our names more times than I ever wish on anyone.  Then we got the call.

On September 26, 2011 (the day I was supposed to close escrow and get keys) I lost the house.  The Home Owners Association waited until the last minute to tell the bank that there was pending litigation in the association over an issue that was deemed a "safety concern."  The bank wouldn't lend.

I lost the house.  On the day I was supposed to close escrow.  I was beyond upset. What the heck was I going to do with the 55" TV I bought for the theater?

Growing up means learning how to fall in love with something, having it in your grasp, losing it at the last second, and bouncing back.  Growing up means learning what questions to ask before it's too late.  Growing up is understanding that everything happens for a reason, no matter how annoying that might be.



My advice to you:  When your offer on a house is accepted, make sure you request the H.O.A. Docs immediately.  If I had asked the right question, this wouldn't have happened.  Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment