Saturday, January 21, 2012

Good deeds

Part of being a grown up is knowing and understanding that there are billions of people in the world and one day, one of them might need your help.

This morning, as I was driving to school, I witnessed an accident.  I was on the 55 fwy going north and just about to hit my exit.  When all of a sudden, a 2011 model year Nissan Z hydroplaned and spun out in front of me.  He made one and a half revolutions before his back bumper slammed into the right shoulder barrier.  If he had spun out a mere 10 feet sooner, he would have been thrown off a cliff embankment at the Chapman East exit.

He was lucky.

I immediately put my hazards on and pulled out onto the Chapman East Exit and stopped.  I called 911.  I gave the operator my coordinates. 

While this was happening the man who wrecked drove his vehicle to where I had parked.  He didn't even have to turn around since he was already facing oncoming traffic.

I got out of my car in the rain to check if he was ok.  He said he was, I told the operator to cancel the ambulance I had asked for in anticipation that he would need one.

As I drove to school after the whole ordeal, I wondered why I was the only person to stop to see if he was ok.  15+ people saw it happen.  I was the ONLY one to stop.  A 25 year old girl who could have been late to an obligation but didn't care because another person may have needed me there.

What if he HAD been hurt? What if he had a broken bone or concussion?  No one would have known had I not stopped.

I want to take this time to ask my fellow human beings to do something nice for someone today.  Open a door for an old lady.  Let someone cut in front of you in a busy parking lot.  Smile at the next stranger you see in the grocery store.  Simply, pay it forward.  You never know when you will need humanity to help you out one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment